Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chicken Soup from a Friend

"That cold" or "that flu" or whatever "that sickness" was sure hit our family hard!  And, it stuck around.  However, when those illnesses strike mom, the house falls apart.   Thankfully, my mom was visiting and kept the kitchen clean, and a friend called to say she was bringing us a pot of chicken soup. 

Now I've made a lot of chicken soup and turkey and split pea and always made them with the carcass.  My friend made it with a whole chicken and was it ever delicious!  Here's what I observed was in the pot:

  • 1 whole fryer
  • lots of water
  • 1-2 carrots sliced
  • 2-3 stalks of celery, thickly sliced
  • several whole cloves of garlic (this was new!)
  • some onion
  • whole wheat noodles

The broth was so flavorful!  I will certainly make some soup scratch just like this.  Thank you, Shirley!  I'm sure it was just what I needed to get well!

Part II - I DID make this soup using a whole chicken in my 6.5 quart crock-pot and it was delicious!

1 whole fryer, cleaned
water to nearly full
2-3 carrots, cut in chunks
4 stalks of celery
2 heaping T minced garlic
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1-2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Cook 6-7 hours.  Remove chicken from the crock to a cutting board.  Add noodles to the crock and turn crock-pot to high to cook while cutting chicken.  Debone the chicken, and return chicken to the crock of soup.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment