Thursday, August 1, 2013

Hmm...Just One Tub of Frozen Spaghetti Sauce and 10 People for Dinner

We are still in our "eat the freezer week," but I'd invited some friends for dinner.  One tub of frozen red sauce is about three cups.  This is just enough for one pound of spaghetti, but I would prepare two pounds for this larger gathering which would ensure some leftovers for my pasta-for-breakfast-loving child.

I warmed up the red sauce in a small pot, while setting a larger pot 2/3 full of water to boil (for 2 lbs. of penne pasta).  Simultaneously, I began to make a double batch of cheese sauce (see blog).  Instead of covering the pasta in one sauce, I served it plain with a choice of sauces.  This also meets the need my family has of a non-red sauce pasta person. 

Sides are simple.  Always make a big salad.  Here, too, I kept it simple with just romaine lettuce and a grated carrot, Italian and Ranch dressings to choose from.  Second side, garlic bread, of course!  A family favorite to eat and cook's favorite to make is with Johnny's Garlic Spread and Seasoning.  Simply mix 3T of the seasoning with 1/2 cup melted or very softened butter and spread it over a loaf of French bread which has been sliced down the middle long-wise.  I prefer to broil it for 2-3 minutes.  Cool slightly before continuing to slice into serving pieces or slice it all up front of broiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment