Saturday, December 7, 2013

A Twist on Quiche

This last summer my Australian Sister-in-law made a delicious appetizer for a family get-together.  I must admit that when I saw the name, Zucchini Slice, I thought it would be sliced zucchini.  Was I wrong!  It's not for the faint of heart, truly, as it's full of delicious cholesterol.  Enjoy once in a while or bake it and take it to a party so you can enjoy the flavor without all the leftovers.

4-6 zucchini, grated
1 large onion, finely diced
1 C crumbled bacon
2 C cheddar cheese, shredded

10 eggs, lightly beaten
2 C flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 C oil (I may try 1/2 C oil and 1/2 C applesauce next time)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Mix the veggies, cheese and bacon together in a large bowl.
In another bowl mix the eggs, flour and other ingredients together.
Pour the egg mixture over the veggies and combine completely.

Pour this into a well-greased 9x13" pan.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned.

Serves 12-15 or cut into smaller pieces for an appetizer.  Makes a great next-day lunch entrée also.

So far, I've only made this one fresh.  I am curious to try preparing and freezing it but an concerned about the oil.  I may try baking it before freezing, but our family usually gobbles it up so quickly there is none left to freeze.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment