Friday, December 7, 2012

Seven Layer Cookies

Tonight was my night to take a meal to a friend, and I took the opportunity to practice making Arroz con Pollo one more time before making it for 170 people in Honduras next month.  As far as I am concerned, the more practice the better!  However, I can only feed it to my family so often.  Tonight I paired it with a fresh green salad of Romaine and spinach leaves with a shredded carrot.

And, I always take a dessert, which since it's December, Seven-Layer Cookies were on my mind.  I'd already purchased all the ingredients for several batches this month, but I hadn't made any specific plans as to when to make them.  They are a family favorite, especially of my hubby, and my kids, too, if I only make them 5 layers.

For me, they take me back to 7th grade when Penny Cypert first shared them with me.  We were having lunch on the school lawn across the street from a fragrant dairy when I first tasted this candy-bar-like cookie.  I think she brought them several days in a row and then finally brought me the recipe.  I've been making them ever since.  Thank you for sharing, Penny!

They are super easy to prepare and make for a spectacular tray of goodies at your holiday parties and potlucks.














Think of each ingredient as a layer:
12 graham crackers (new packaging has about 9 in a sleeve)
1 stick (1/2 C) butter
1 - 12oz. bag chocolate chips
1 - 12oz. bag butterscotch chips
1/2 C shredded coconut
1/2 C walnuts, chopped (or any nut you like)
1 can Sweetened condensed milk (non-name brands work just fine in this recipe)

Crush the whole graham crackers into crumbs by putting them in a sturdy Ziploc bag and rolling over them with a rolling pin.  Put the crumbs in the botttom of a 9"x13" glass pan.  If you use an aluminum pan you may need to grease it first.

Melt the butter and pour over the crumbs.  Mix well and press onto the bottom of the pan to form a crust.

Sprinkle the chocolate and butterscotch chips over the graham cracker crust. 
Scatter the coconut next, followed by the nuts.
Now pour the condensed milk over all of this.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.  You want the milk to be transparent and the edges slightly browned.  Cool and cut into bars, about 1 1/2" square.

For 5-layer bars, simply omit the coconut and nuts.



No comments:

Post a Comment