Saturday, June 22, 2013

Potato Casserole was a Big Hit

Alongside of tri-tip, I served an old favorite.  It is one that a dear friend gave me as young bride and one that I "revisit" every now and then.  This summer in Honduras I'll be serving it alongside a beef roast.

Golden Potato Casserole (Thanks, Nancy Buck)

6 medium potatoes par-boiled and shredded or my new short-cut - use 2 boxes of dehydrated shredded potatoes

Mix the following in a large bowl, then add the potatoes.
2 C sour cream
10 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
2 green onions, sliced (can put these on top of the dish rather than in)
3 T milk
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Spread into a greased 2qt. casserole or 9x13" pan.  Mix the following together and sprinkle over the casserole.
2 T butter, melted
1/2 C bread crumbs

Loosely cover with foil and bake at 300 degrees F for 50 minutes.  Remoe foil and increase temperature to 400 degrees.  Bake an additional 5 minutes.

+
This can be prepared up to 24 hours ahead of time, but due to the milk and sour cream, should not be frozen.  I used 1 1/2 recipes which fit perfectly in a 9x13" pan.  This served 13 handily.

No comments:

Post a Comment