Saturday, June 22, 2013

Time for a New Meat Thermometer (Tri-tip Roasts)

Oh my blog!  It's been a while.   I have come to realize that June is just a warmer-weathered version of December.  We have two family birthdays, then add Father's Day, graduations, weddings, end-of-school year events, a spring cold, and keeping up with all the graduation announcements and gifts, and well, the month is gone.  And so it has been.  On a more positive note, I have also ended the month with a stack of recipes to share and extreme delight for having prepared a month of meals several weeks ago.

Last night we had a very special family over for dinner.  It was a "get-acquainted" evening, and it was fabulous!  One of those where you say it's time to go and then another hour goes by, and you repeat the line, and another conversation begins.  I wanted this meal to be special, yet comfy and so put together the following menu:

Tri-tip, slow-cooked on the bar-b-que
Potato casserole
Casaer Salad, with homemade dressing
Fresh baked rolls

and for dessert, Creme Brulee with raspberry garnish

I was very pleased with the meal, although I do need to buy a new meat thermometer.  Unfortunately, we discovered this need with the tri-tip.  However, the flavor of the new meat rub that I tried was quite delicious.  It is another find from a magazine which I neglected to document, but have, of course, tweaked anyway.

All-purpose BBQ Rub (makes about 2/3 C)

1/4 C sugar
1 T firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 C paprika
1 T chili powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper (or to taste says the recipe)

Mix all ingredients in a tightly lidded container.  Can be stored up to a month in a dark cupboard.

I used it right away sprinkling it generously on both sides of the tri-tip roasts and patting it in.  I had doubled the recipe and have about half left after covering 3 - 3lb. roasts.  Let it set for several hours in a covered container so that the meat comes to room temperature before grilling.

I placed foil on the grill to reduced the charring, but need to improve this technique and the temperature of the grill as it still charred more heavily than I like.  (My summer dinner project.)  Slow cook for about 1 1/2 hours.  Let rest for about 10 minutes before thinly slicing and serving.

The remnants of three tri-tip roasts.  Delicious!


For the freezer: I have bought roasts such as this and frozen them ahead, but for special ocassions and parties, I usually buy  it fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment