Thursday, January 31, 2013

Frijoles Rojo and Pupusas...Yum, Yum, Yum!

My first meal on my first trip to Honduras was Pupusas, and it was love at first bite.  From then on, I ordered them whenever I could and even brought some pre-made ones home for my family.  Now each time I return to Honduras I try to have them at least once.

This year I was given a lesson on making them and taught a simple variation which I've been making at home with great success.

Eloisa taught me to take two pre-made corn tortillas, some quesilla (I use Cacique's Ranchero  Queso Fresco, part skim milk cheese here at home) and little bit of oil.

Warm a frying pan over a medium flame and put a little bit of oil or butter on the bottom just to thinly coat the pan.  Add one tortilla.  Generously cover the the tortilla with thick slices of cheese and cover with a second tortilla.  Cook on both sides until the cheese is melted, much like cooking a grilled cheese sandwich, only not so crispy.
Remove from pan and let set just a minute or so before enjoying this delicious treat.

I found that 1 pound of cheese made about 7-8 Pupusas.  Serve them with Frijoles Rojo for a delicious meal.
Now all I have to do is master tortilla making (for another blog entry) and they'll be phenomenal!  For you see, in the restaurants, they first make fresh tortillas and then add the cheese.  Lucky for me, I had that lesson, too, but one step at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment