Friday, January 25, 2013

I will get a new crock-pot for this!

Last night I took a peek at the menu and saw that tonight's meal of 40-Clove Garlic Chicken would require that I defrost a whole chicken overnight.  So of course, I pulled it out of the freezer. 

This morning I got out my favorite crock-pot and dropped the chicken into it along with 1/2 cup of minced garlic, 1/4 olive oil, 1/2 cup water, and a good sprinkling of dried parsley.  I also salted and peppered the chicken generously before putting the lid on.  Then I set the crock-pot to low for 7 1/2 hours.  Easy!

About 5 1/2 hours into the cooking, one of my sons commented on the new look of the lid.  What new look?  Somehow during the cooking the lid had shattered but stayed intact.  It was really quite stunning, but I wondered if we'd be eating the meal inside!



I was able to remove the lid without too many pieces falling in.  Had it been any other meal, I might not have been able to safely salvage the dinner, but with a whole chicken it was easy.  Phew!  We might have had to go out for dinner which wouldn't have been all bad, but I was glad not to have to do so.


The new crock-pot will be mine this week when I return the shattered one to Costco in exchange for a new one.  Gotta love their return policy along with the access to my American Express purchase records.  I won't even have to look for the receipt even though I keep every one.   

My son told me that I have over-used the crock-pot which I have only had for about a year.  It reminded me of cameras.  I have worn out five cameras in 27 years and find that it's always less expensive to replace than repair.  Maybe the same is happening to my crock-pot.  I'll just have to keep experimenting to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment