Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Kids and Menus, a Moment to Remember

I keep the calendar of menus posted in my kitchen.  This week one of my daughters wanted to have a friend over for dinner.  When she invited them, she told them what the menu was going to be for that night.  I loved it!  (It's so fun to see a lesson learned!)

A second friend was coming tonight but our approach was different.  I gave my daughter the option of any item on the menu.  She chose her personal favorite, which was very appropriate to the evening and the guest.

Both approaches work great.  The calendar can simply be a list of meals and you pull out what "hits the spot" or you follow a calendar to the letter.  We often swap meals, but I am always careful to cross-out those that I serve so that my freezer inventory is accurate.

Our entree for tonight was Chicken Bake.  (The recipe was posted on Sept 20, 2012.)  For a side dish, we served Sauted Squash. I found this recipe from Mrs. Dash in one of my magazines, and of course, it's a bit tweaked.  It's tasty and low-fat, but also full of flavor.  And with all the time I saved on the entree which only needed to be placed in a hot over for 1 hour, I had plenty of time to devote to the veggies.

non-stick cooking spray
3 large zucchini, sliced like coins and about 1/4" thick (use different colors of squash)
1 large onion, sliced 1/8" thick
1 large mushroo, sliced, dried
4 tsp. Mrs. Dash original seasoning blend
2 tsp. Molly McButter butter sprinkles

Spray a large skillet with cooking spray.  Saute zucchini and onions over medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring often.  Sprinkle with Mrs. Dash and Molly McButter.  Add the mushrooms and continue sauteing, stirring often until mushrooms are browned.  I often turn down the heat and let it simmer under a lid for several minutes at this point.  Cook the squash to desired tenderness.

This yields 3 servings. 

Tonight I mixed yellow and white squash with zucchini, onions and mushrooms.  It was delicious and the guest loved it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment