Monday, April 1, 2013

April Fool's Day Breakfast

I have always made my kids breakfast, and while that "made" could vary from Swedish Pancakes from scratch to a bowl of cold cereal placed at their seat, there is one breakfast that was especially memorable.

One of my dear children was giving me a hard time at bed time.  It was one of those push-pull matches between parent and child that I needed and chose to win.  But it had to be done right.  So I came up with a clever threat; one which I could carry out should I need to.  I cannot even remember the details only that I was forced to carry out the threat because the child did exactly what I did not want them to do. 

The next morning I got up as usual and went into the kitchen to fix breakfast.  This child's food required special care.  I put a piece of bread in the toaster.  When it was toasted I put it on a plate and went outside to get the topping - a fresh scoop of dog poop.  I brought it back in to the kitchen and placed it at their seat.  Were they ever surprised by the breakfast of "Poop on Toast!"  Or perhaps the surprise was not the meal, that had been part of the threat, but all of my children were surprised that I carried it out.
Not to worry, the dog only stole the toast.


Yes, it smelled.  Yes, it was gross.  No, they did not eat it.  Yes, I made them an edible breakfast.  But, they've never crossed me again.  I simply remind them of "Poop on Toast."  In fact, I reminded them of that breakfast just last night.  It's had far reaching consequences as a parent in that it was a 4-for-1 deal over 6 years ago showing all four of  my kids that mom will do what she says, and reinforcing the message of "don't cross mom!"

Happy April Fools Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment