Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Ham, ham and more ham

It's not often that I serve ham at our house.  Don't get me wrong; we love it!  So we look forward to the holidays when we do serve it.

My favorite method of cooking a ham:
Start with a plain ham.  Cut off most of the fat and skin and place in a 9x13" pan, flat side down.  Spread apricot jam all over the ham.  Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.  About 15 minutes a pound.  You may wish to brush the ham with more jam while cooking.  Let set for about 10 minutes before slicing.

So the meal was delicious, but you probably have leftovers.  We had an entire ham leftover as we'd baked two for Easter.  Each day I ponder how I can use ham that day.  Here are some thoughts:

Slice and freeze a portion for a future dinner.
Slice and eat in sandwiches.
Chop for use in a soup or egg dish (could freeze this, too)
Make a fritatta.
Make my favorite sauce to serve over sliced ham for dinner tonight.

My favorite sauce:
Mix together 1/4 C prepared mustard with a heaping 1/3 C of brown sugar (not packed).  Warm in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  Pour over sliced ham which is on a sided cookie sheet and bakd for about 10-15 minutes just to warm the ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment