Friday, April 5, 2013

Colored Easter Eggs

As is the custom with many people on or near Easter, our family still likes to have an egg hunt and color eggs.  My job is to hard-boil the eggs, and my sister-in-law handles the coloring with the cousins.  This year she did not add any water to the dye and just used straight distilled white vinegar.  The coloring was easier and the colors were more vibrant. 

The activity was fun.  The colored eggs looked great on the dinner table, but what do I do with 5 dozen colored eggs?  The first step of course, is to send some home with each of the dinner guests.  One of my favorite ways to eat hard-boiled eggs is in egg salad on fresh bread.  Here's how I make the filling:

12 eggs, hard-boiled, cooled and peeled, cut coarsely
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. garlic salt, to taste
3/4 C mayo, use fat-free to cut the calories

Mix well with electric beaters.  Spread on bread or serve as a dip with hearty crackers.

2 comments: