Thursday, November 15, 2012

Garlic-Cheese Biscuits

This recipe was originally published in Healthy Cooking (Aug-Sept 2012, p. 25) magazine, but I have tweaked it for my garlic lovers.  I am also not one to store various kinds of flours (the original called for 1 C each of all-purpose and cake flours.)  I keep my kitchen simple that way.   These biscuits are a healthier remake of Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits.  So from Red Lobster to Healthy Cooking to me, you will love these biscuits!

Biscuits:
2 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3 T cold butter
1/3 C finely shredded cheddar cheese (I use a cheddar/Jack blend)
1 C buttermilk (I have used fat-free milk when I am without buttermilk)

Butter sauce:
1 T butter, melted
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes

In a large bowl combine the first five ingredients.  Cut butter and mix in with a pastry blender or two knives.  Add the cheese and mix.  Pour in the buttermilk and stir until just moistened.  You may to gently knead all the ingredients together before scooping onto a greased (Pam works great!) cookie sheet.  I used my favorite #30 scoop which is 2 tablespoons. 

Bake for 10-12 minutes in a 425 degrees F oven.  Biscuits should be lightly browned. 

Make the butter sauce and brush over each biscuit.  Enjoy warm.

Yield: about 16 biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment