Saturday, November 17, 2012

Tortellini Soup

My family loves this variation of Tortellini.  I like it because it can be made in a crock-pot or in a pot on the stove which gives me lots of flexibility.

I originally found this on the internet, but didn't save the address.  However, I've rather tweaked the recipe anyway as I prefer my homemade white sauce base over the packaged variety.  I've also discovered that either broth works just fine and more tortellini is better.

1/2 C butter
1/2 C finely diced onion
1/2 C flour
1 14-oz. can of vegetable or chicken broth
4 C water
1 1/2 C sliced fresh mushrooms (3 - 4oz. cans mushrooms)
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic

1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 1/2 pounds rainbow tortellini
1/2 C frozen spinach

In a large saucpan, melt the butter.  Stir in the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the flour, stirring constantly until smooth.
Pour in the broth and stir until smooth.  Add the water and reduce heat to a simmer.
Add all the spices and the mushrooms.

To enjoy later, pour this into a container to freeze.  When you want to eat it, simply defrost and place in a crock-pot on low fro 5-6 hours, and then add the milk, tortellini and spinach cooking for 45 minutes longer.

To enjoy tonight:  Add the milk, tortellini and spinach. 

Optional:  Sprinkle servings with Parmesan Cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment