Friday, November 30, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls Instead of Donuts

This morning it was my hubby's turn to take donuts (or some such sweet things) to a meeting.  I knew about this a few days ago and so began thinking of some yummy and different creation that I could bake for him to take, since I had the time.  I chose cinnamon rolls.  I have a "quickie" version that I make using BIsquick, but I thought these should be of the yeast variety.  I had visions of the huge, cream-cheese frosted rolls from Campus by the Sea or the Gourmet Pie Shop or my donut shop across the street.   And so, I set out to make them.

Since we are having cold, rainy weather, I chose to use pre-made bread dough, although it might have been faster after all to use my bread maker as I still had to help the dough along with added heat.  My favorite frozen dough is made by Bridgford.  I purchased a package containing 3 loaves from the freezer section at the grocery store.  These were placed in a greased 9" x 13" pan and allowed to thaw for many hours.

Gather these supplies:
flour
rolling pin
sharp knife
butter, to soften
brown sugar (about 1 cup)
cinnamon, ground, about 1 T per loaf
large pans
no-stick spray

Once the loaves were defrosted enough to work with the dough, I began to roll them out, one at a time on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangle.

Using my hand, I spread a generous layer of butter all over the dough.
 Sprinkle about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar over the butter.



Sprinkle this with 1 T ground cinnamon.

Begin rolling the dough from a short edge until you have a log.  Slice into 10-12 pieces and lay on greased pan.  Allow to rise until double in size.  The final size is primarily determined by the size they grow to in this process.  If your house is not warm enough to allow for rising, you may want to place the pans in front of a warm oven or under some lights for added heat.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
Cool and frost with Lyla's Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 - 8oz. package of cream cheese, very soft
1 tsp. vanilla
3 and 3/4 C or 1 lb. powdered sugar
1/3 C milk

Beat cream cheese.  Add other ingredients and continue mixing until smooth.  Gently frost rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment