Friday, May 24, 2013

Alfredo Sauce from Scratch

We use a lot of alfredo sauce at our house, and I guess I could count myself lucky that my kids actually like Ragu's Alfredo Sauce.  I do, too.  It's so easy and very inexpensive.  Kept in the pantry next to dried pastas, it makes for a quick meal when "extras" are here at dinner time or to spread over a pizza crust for a white pizza or our favorite Chicken Cordon Bleu Pizza. 

I first had fettecini alfredo prepared by my brother-in-law, and it was addicting.  I later learned the reason was that it was overflowing with garlic.  From then on I became a garlic lover and that is huge for a Dutch girl!  I've tried many times to duplicate that meal, but alas, it cannot be done.  Meals always taste better prepared by another.

In my search for the perfect alfredo recipe, I discovered that another "secret" ingredient is cream cheese and have been experimenting with various combinations ever since.

This summer we will be traveling to Honduras once again.  As I prepared our menu for this work-trip, I chose to include Fettecini Alfredo for it's mild flavor and typically, universal appeal.  Then I realized that I may not find it in jars on shelves in Honduras so I was forced once again to create a recipe from scratch.  After much thought and several batches of pasta, I am very happy with the recipe below.  My family is also happy to have the experimentation come to an end successfully.  :)

Measure and set aside 4 C milk.  I use fat-free.
In a large frying pan, melt 1/2 C butter.

Add 1/4 C flour and stir quickly using a whisk.  Add the milk slowly, stirring constantly.  Allow this to simmer until just before a boil.  The mixture will thicken.

While it is simmering add the following spices:
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 tsp. oregano, dried
3/4 tsp. basil, dried, ground
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Once the mixture has thickened, add the cheese and stir until completely melted and smooth.
8 oz. cream cheese, cubed
1 C parmesan cheese, finely grated

Pour over a fresh-cooked pot of pasta (about 1 lb) and enjoy tonight!

Optional ideas:  Add some steamed veggies for color and variety, or even chunked chicken for extra protein.

This recipe is best made fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment