Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Spring Cleaning and Cilantro Sauce

I did a bit of my own spring cleaning with my magazines.  One of my favorites is Taste of Home.  Sure enough there were dog-eared pages waiting to join my recipe files.  As I pulled them out of the magazine, one recipe in particular caught my eye - Grilled Steaks with Cilantro Sauce. As I read the recipe I discovered it to be one in which the meat is prepared separately from the sauce and so it looked promising for the tastes of my family.

I was also intrigued by the cilantro sauce. You see, when I've gone to Honduras we usually eat one or two of our meals at nicer restaurants and order the Plato Tipico which is served with a platter of bar-b-qued chicken, pork and beef.  On the side are little portion cups of a cilantro-garlic sauce that is absolutely delicious with the meat.  I've wanted to learn how to make it.  This recipe gave me the opportunity to come very close to replicating it.

Now, true confessions.  I did not take the recipe with me to the store, nor did I write a grocery list.  I just happened to be at a market and knew that I needed lots of cilantro.  Had I been more prepared I would have also purchased the fresh parsley and mint also called for in the recipe.  So, I improvised and was very happy with the results.

In a food processor or Vita-Mix, place the following:
1 large bunch of cilantro, without most of the stems
3/4 C dried parsley
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 1/2 tsp. minced garlic

Puree and then gradually add:
1 1/2 C Olive oil
1/2 C red wine vinegar
2 T lemon juice
1/2 - 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Continue processing until blended.  Serve in small portion cups for double-dipping.



Prepare steaks to liking.  I used Kosher salt and pepper and "woked" the meat because I "stole" the meat from another recipe to try this one.  It's probably better to buy some nice steaks.  However, keep the seasonings simple and enjoy the sauce for flavor.

We are enjoying the leftovers with quesadillas, pupusas and omelettes.  Yum!

(Thank you to Lynne Keast for the original recipe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment