Thursday, May 16, 2013

Ham and Corn Chowder in Bread Bowls

Yum, yum, yum! One of my daughters thinks bread bowls are amazing especially when filled with a hot, creamy soup.  I purchase the round loaves of bread, but make my own soup for filling.  Here's my favorite Corn Chowder.  It's doubled in an attempt to feed my entire family.

Put the following into a medium sized sauce pan.

8 slices of ready-to-serve bacon or about a 1/2 C of crumbled bacon
2 cans of Cream of Potato soup
2 cans of milk (use the soup cans to measure this)
2 cans of corn (15oz.)

Add several slices of American cheese (it melts the best) for a potato cheese soup.

Bring soup to an almost-boil.  Cut the top off of the bread loaves.  Scoop out the inside of the bread loaf and fill with soup.  Sprinkle shredded cheese on the top.

To enjoy later:  I assemble this one on the day-of-eating.  You can mark the items in your pantry so that they are saved for this recipe.  Bacon can be frozen in a small container or Ziploc-style bag. 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment