Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Always Make Two

I've written about quiche before and had another opportunity this week to put some of my philosophies into practice.  I prefer to use the deep dish pie crusts from the freezer section of the grocery store.  Then I fill it will whatever meats and veggies I have on hand.

This week a dear friend was down with pneumonia and I knew they like my quiche.  I had two empty pie shells in the freezer.  I pulled them out and began to fill them; one for them and one for my family.  I made two different flavors. 

  • Cheese, Spinach, diced onion, sliced mushrooms
  • Cheese, pepperoni, salami, mushrooms

I made a double batch of the egg mixture, poured it over each pie and baked them covered for about 1 hour at 325 degrees F and then an additional 30 minutes uncovered.  Delish!

Egg Mixture
8 eggs
2 C cream or half n half
1 tsp. dry, ground mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
sprinkle of pepper

Whether or not you will eat both or deliver one to a friend, I find it easiest to make both at once.  You can freeze them until baking time or bake one and freeze one.  Even frozen, it can be delivered to someone in need and they can bake it, just include the baking instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment