Friday, July 26, 2013

Bringing Honduras Cuisine to My American Table

Being newly arrived home from our mission trip to Honduras, we are eating the "leftover" freezer meals from my last once-a-month cooking menu.  I haven't been terribly inspired to

This morning I took a chance and put a frozen chicken (whole) in the crock-pot and hoped it would be cooked by dinner.  I am happy to say that yes, it was fully cooked and deliciously moist.  For seasoning, I used a Weber bar-b-que citrus seasoning packet mixed with orange juice.

When it was time for dinner, I pulled all of the meat off of the carcass (not something I typically like doing) and put it on a plate.  I warmed up a pouch of my favorite RED refried beans directly home from Honduras and served both on a flour tortilla with a generous sprinkle of cheese.  In Honduras it would have been slices of a white, mozzarella-like cheese.  These flavors together reminded me of a staple in the Honduran meal:

  • tortillas (freshly made corn tortillas)
  • frijoles rojo (refried red beans)
  • queso (cheese)

While in Honduras we ate it for breakfast one day, lunch on several occasions and also had them for dinner.  They are delicious!  And so, I sought to roughly re-create it for my family.  I expect that someday soon I'll learn to make the corn tortillas, but for now, flour is just fine with my family. 



And after this quickie meal, I still had energy to clean the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment