Thursday, September 12, 2013

Memories of Meatloaf

As a young child I fell in love with meatloaf.  Not just for dinner either!  It was my favorite sandwich sliced thin with ketchup on sliced bread.  As an adult, I indulge a few times a year with this easy-make-ahead meal served with mashed potatoes and veggies, and yes, still with ketchup.  My family likes it best with Bab-b-que sauce, but it is so moist it really does not require additional sauces.

My current favorite recipe is that on the box of Lipton Onion Soup Mix - Souperior Meatloaf.  I make it with ground turkey and love the results.

1 1/2 lbs. (ish) ground turkey or up to 2 lbs.
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix, dry (I've used store brands with success, too)
1 1/2 C bread crumbs (I buy Wal-Mart or Target brand and store them in the freezer)
2 eggs
3/4 C water
1/3 C ketchup

Mix everything in a large bowl.  Shape into a loaf and place in a loaf pan (5x7"). 

To enjoy tonight: Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees F.

To enjoy later:  Cover with heavy duty foil and freeze.  Defrost a bit, and bake at 350 degrees F for up to 2 hours, covered.  Let set for 5-10 minutes before removing from pan and slicing.


No comments:

Post a Comment